One of the purposes of SADM is to encourage the development of excellence in dance education. With this goal in mind, scholarships are offered each year to deserving Members, CSMs, assistant teacher, or student teacher ages 16-21 in memory of Marjorie Duckett, Joyce Newman, Rockie Smith, Frances Hickman and Pat Hunt.
- Joyce Newman Scholarship
- Joyce Newman served as President of SADM from 1972-1975. She was also a charter member and is greatly missed by all members of our association.
- Marjorie Duckett Scholarship
- Majorie Duckett was a co-founder of SADM and served as President from 1962-1965. She devoted her energy and enthusiasm toward raising the standard of the dance profession in the South.
- Rockie Smith Scholarship
- Rockie Smith was a charter member of SADM and served as Secretary, Treasurer and Principal. Her eloquent style and presence will always be remembered.
- Frances Hickman Scholarship
- Miss Frances was a charter member of SADM and served as Treasurer for two terms. She served on the faculty of our conventions numerous times. She was known for her "bounce" in her time steps. She was a native of Greenville, Ms.
- Pat Hunt Scholarship
- Pat Hunt was a charter member of SADM and was a native of Lonoke, Arkansas. Miss Pat was Secretary of SADM for 10 years and served as Treasurer for one term. She was nationally known for her fabulous tap technique and taught at conventions all over the South.
Applicants should submit applications by June 1 for consideration for that year's award. The application is completed by both the applicant and the sponsoring teacher. The application consists of personal contact information, a letter requesting the Memorial Scholarship, and a teacher/sponsor affirmation. The letter should include the applicant's experience in dance, why the applicant would deserve this scholarship, and a clear definition of the applicant's future goals in dance.
*Please note, only one application will be accepted from each Member Studio
|Download application form (PDF format)|
Questions about the scholarship or application may be directed to Shelia Vaught. Applications will be reviewed, and the winner will be announced at the summer convention.
Please send all application materials to:
300 East Third Street #1405
Little Rock, AR 72201